Home > Our history

Our history
La Fonda del Califa

In 1834 the Duke of Osuna built the main part of the building with the view to use it as an inn, which makes this hotel the oldest lodging throughout Andalusia. In 1863 the part of the old structure was refurbished and a second department was added to the building, which gave the hotel its current aspect.

Over the last two centuries, the establishment has been a meeting and destination point of many renowned figures of the Spanish literary, painting, cinema and bullfighting worlds: all of them fell under the spellbound ambiance of this charismatic hotel.

Among the great figures who stayed at our hotel, a special mention should be given to the painter Gustavo Bacarisas, the sculptor Juan Britto, the writer Fernando Quiñónez, the film director Alejandro Pérez Lujín or the famous bullfighter Juan Belmonte, who visited the room known as Habitación de los Toreros (the bullfighters' room), which was usually used when they bullfighted in Arcos.

La Fonda del Califa was redecorated in 2015 respecting its traditional Andalusian decoring and adding an Arabic style, which empowers even more its marked Romantic character. In this sense, the hotel is a comfortable quality establishment where the family tradition that left a mark when it was created, and its prestige is well-known since it is recommended in the Michelin guide from 1910 under the name Fonda del Comercio.